Welcome to JenFul!

Start/Finish

You’ve probably come to this site because you are/were a PastaQueen reader. If so, hello! If not, hello anyway! If you are totally confused, let me explain. JenFul is the personal blog of Jennette Fulda who is a smartass, writer, chronic headache sufferer, (former?) weight loss inspiration and overall nice person (not that I’m biased).

If you want the long version on why I changed my blog name from PastaQueen to Jenful, read this final post on PastaQueen.com. Want the short version? The name “PastaQueen” had become associated mostly with the weight-loss era of my life, whereas the name “JenFul” better encompasses who I am as a whole person. Essentially, I had to let go of who I was so I can become what I will be.

I envision that JenFul will be basically the same as PastaQueen.com was after September 2008. That was the date I started blogging about things other than weight loss and healthy living, an era I called my “life after the ‘after’ photo.” So if you’ve been quietly thinking, “Geez, Jennette, this site looks an awful lot like the PastaQueen.com design,” I say to you, YES, it does! I did that on purpose because 1) I wanted visitors to get the feeling that this site was still “me” and 2) I was too lazy to create a completely new design. Seriously, y’all, I design web sites all day. I don’t have 20 extra hours to design, slice and code a whole new one for free. And if I did have 20 extra hours I’d probably spend them trying to read the eleventy-billion pages of the Song of Ice and Fire book series now that the Game of Thrones TV series got me hooked. Damn you, George R. R. Martin! Two middle initials? Even your name is extra long!

So, here we go!

shauna • May 16, 2011 at 6:41 am

It looks brilliant Jennette, a new era but still familar. Very excited for you mate :)

Laura I. • May 16, 2011 at 6:42 am

Hope this is a good change for you! Whatever the name, I’ll still enjoy reading what you write and hoping things go well in your world.

Lynn • May 16, 2011 at 6:52 am

Jennette, I am a long time reader of your blog and will continue to read, no matter the address. :)

You were one of my biggest inspirations when I first started my weight loss journey and I just want to thank you for sharing your experiences.

julia Jones • May 16, 2011 at 7:05 am

I love all the reasons why you finally decided to ditch PQ – Hello Jennette! Congratulations on your new website!!

Jennifer@ knackfornutrition • May 16, 2011 at 7:38 am

Congratulations on the new blog! I’m sure many great things will come from it! :)

Katharine • May 16, 2011 at 7:39 am

I’m looking forward to reading what you have to say as JenFul!

Debbi • May 16, 2011 at 7:46 am

Yeah! So glad you didn’t decide to drop off the blog-planet. Looking forward to eavesdropping on the rest of your life, and I’ll always be grateful for the PQ inspiration as you lost half your ass.

Zandria • May 16, 2011 at 7:52 am

I completely understand why you started a new blog and want to separate the “old you” from the “new you.” In the last post I wrote on my blog last week, I talked about how my blogging has changed in the almost-9 years I’ve had my website. At least for me, I’ve always blogged under my first name so it’s not like I had a nickname (and I never blogged exclusively about one topic). However, I’ve definitely noticed that my blog topics have fit into buckets over the years, which is one thing I talked about in that post I wrote.

I’ve always enjoyed your writing and look forward to continue following whatever you feel like telling us.

Megan • May 16, 2011 at 7:54 am

Nice to be here!

I occasionally start over with new blogs, and even maintain a group anonyblog, so I know exactly how you feel.

Jennifer • May 16, 2011 at 8:18 am

Um, yeah, you’re not getting rid of me THAT easily. ;-) And speaking as one who is about 1/3 of the way through “A Clash of Kings,” I can assure you that it’s TOTALLY worth the effort. Once you get into these books, they FLY by. I lurv me some Tyrion… And some Dany… although I have the feeling eventually she’s going to wind up being a complete whackadoo…

CW • May 16, 2011 at 8:29 am

I’m a long-time reader who made the “conscious decision” to follow you over here! Congrats to you for getting this fresh start!

Emma • May 16, 2011 at 8:42 am

Congrats on the new domain! I think it’ll be a great move for you – a fresh start if you will.

Charlie • May 16, 2011 at 8:47 am

You really can’t beat George RR Martin. His books of short stories are fabulous. They include some of the creepiest stories ever (The Pear Shaped Man really sticks in the mind).

I made a similar decision to stop being a Personality behind a funky nickname a while ago and now blog under my real name and use that. Twitter has taught us that we can be on the internet and not hide behind nicknames and aliases and avatars. In fact, I truly believe that using real names gives you credibility in a world full of keyboard warriors and those using dating nicknames.

Kalynskitchen • May 16, 2011 at 8:51 am

I just subscribed, and wish you all the best in this new phase of your writing life. (And of course in your real life as well!)

BerlinBat • May 16, 2011 at 8:56 am

I hope your transition goes smooth. Shifting one’s identity can be a delicate issue, but I’m sure yours will be all jenful! I’m happy that you let us follow along to see your other sides as well.

Susan • May 16, 2011 at 9:15 am

Congratulations on the new leaf!

dawn • May 16, 2011 at 9:22 am

Congrats on the new website. Reading your last post on Pastaqueen made me think of myself. I seem to continue to talk about weight when really I know there is so much more to me. Not sure I’m ready to give up the “Fixing Myself Thinner” but I do know exactly what you mean about being the new you and leaving the old you behind. I will definitely be following along. Good Luck!

Deb • May 16, 2011 at 9:36 am

Wow! Am I really the first person to leave a comment on your new website? What an honor!

I wish you the best of luck in your new venture; I love how self-aware you are and how you respect yourself. Very healthy (and I ought to know, ha ha)!

So, I will stay tuned as you become what you will be. Enjoy the journey, Jennette! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Meg • May 16, 2011 at 9:40 am

Congratz on the transition! I’m looking forward to more hilarious/inspiring/thought provoking posts from you. I’m excited to see what else you cover now that you’re not limiting yourself! Bravo!

jenny • May 16, 2011 at 9:43 am

Good stuff. Good luck with the new website and the new you! I didnt notice quite how popular the name Jenny was until I moved to the US, now its quite nice to be anonymous for me!

Michelle • May 16, 2011 at 10:01 am

Congrats on your new blog! I wish you good luck in beginning this new adventure!

Dup • May 16, 2011 at 10:06 am

Can’t wait to see where we’ll go!!

Amanda • May 16, 2011 at 10:08 am

Congrats on the new site! As a fellow techie who sometimes dreams of the freelancing/consulting world, I’m glad to be able to keep reading about your experiences on that path.

Naantje • May 16, 2011 at 10:36 am

I’m happy for you :) Now, let’s figure out what that newly created adjective “jenful” would actually mean.

Merry • May 16, 2011 at 10:47 am

Oh, don’t get me started on George R.R.R.R.R. Martin.

I got to the end of the first book (Game of Thrones) and was deeply frustrated to find that it was a To Be Continued.

Then I got to the end of the published books and wanted to throttle R.R.R.R. when I found that a) the series goes on for several more books and b) people have been waiting for the next installment for 5 Friggin’ Years.

I know that Neil Gaiman keeps telling people that “George Martin is not your bitch” but even so I have to say ‘argh’!

Hunter • May 16, 2011 at 11:04 am

I look forward to your new blog.

Mymsie • May 16, 2011 at 11:20 am

Congrats on moving forward! :)

Stephanie O'Dea • May 16, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Congratulations on your new digs!
oxox

Amanda M • May 16, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I love new beginnings! Congrats and looking forward to more 1000s of posts to come.

Sheryl • May 16, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Welcome to your new site — I hope you will continue to have a bit of time to write — I’ve always enjoyed your blog.

Debby • May 16, 2011 at 5:16 pm

You could write on the back of a gum wrapper and I would sign up to read it. :-) Looking forward to the next phase. Above all, have fun!

Cari • May 16, 2011 at 9:44 pm

New blog RSSed!

AND OMG YES about Game of Thrones. We’re off to England on Friday (the trip I asked you for advice on – thank you again!) and I plan to read it on the plane because I am so hooked on the HBO series.

elkit • May 16, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Thanks for inviting us over for your blog-warming party!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy • May 17, 2011 at 7:48 am

I don’t see where I can subscribe by email? I like all my favorite blogs to come to email so I won’t forget. Am I missing it?

Dr. Collins • May 17, 2011 at 8:58 am

Hi…You changed from Pasta Queen to JenFul, and I changed from Bright Angel to Dr. Collins at DietHobby, but we are still us.

JenFul • May 17, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Thanks for all the kind words, you guys!

@Debbi Does Dinner Healthy – Looks like I forgot to activate the Feedburner email option. I’ve turned it on now and you can subscribe here: http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=Jenful&loc=en_US

Debby • May 17, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Hey, Jennette! I had to spend most of the day at the hospital today getting nuclear injections, bone scans, MRIs, MRAs – you know, all the usual stuff they do when you’ve had chronic pain for years and no one can figure it out. :-) The best part was that I took Chocolate & Vicodin with me to help me pass the time. The person who checked me in is to going to get both it and Half-Assed to read while she’s on vacation. The woman who stuck the IV in my arm and the other woman who lit me up with the nuclear stuff are going to get Chocolate & Vicodin, too. That really made my day a lot better than it started out to be. And, of course, I’m still moving your books to the front of the store at Barnes & Noble every time I’m there!

Aimee • May 17, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Congrats– love the new site and name! Hope you’re enjoying NC!!!

JenFul • May 17, 2011 at 7:54 pm

@Debby – Heh! Ok, you’re awesome. Thanks for being my personal PR rep.

Hope your scans come back ok, and that they were able to get your IV in with one stick. (It took them FOUR when I had an MRI!)

Heather • May 17, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Congrats on your new blog! I love the name. :)

Kathy W. • May 17, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Ok, so it’s *kind of* like moving to a new country. And no new-puppy mess to clean up. And do you know how many books are optioned for the movies and those movies NEVER GET MADE? (most of them)

You have also coined a delightful new adjective. As in, that new restaurant downtown is totally JenFul.

In sum: You can’t get rid of us *that* easily!

Karista • May 18, 2011 at 2:01 am

Jen, I just stumbled onto your site (from BlogHer). How did I miss your blog all these years? (I was hiding under the rainy skies of Seattle!) I love your writing and can’t wait to dig into your books… and your new blog. Thanks for sharing!

The Girl from the Ghetto • May 18, 2011 at 4:49 am

Congrats on the new blog!

I can totally relate to you not wanting to create a completely new design. I’m unemployed and still find all that work to be a drain of energy and time.

Sharilyn • May 18, 2011 at 11:00 am

I’m happy to be over here at JenFul, having been a Pasta Queen fan for quite some time. I am in the process of reading your 2nd book. Thank you for all your insights and sharing of yourself. I feel like you’re an “old” friend who has moved to the other side of town. I’ll drive on over to visit as often as I can.

JenFul • May 18, 2011 at 11:43 am

@Karista – Thanks for letting me know about the BlogHer link. Funny that one way to get traffic is to shut down our blog :)

MB • May 23, 2011 at 8:44 am

Love your new place but will miss Pasta Queen. Even though it took me a couple of years to get into the groove you inspired me to start blogging and finally figure it out. THANK YOU!!!

Ro • June 2, 2011 at 10:12 am

Well-what’s a few weeks late. At least I made it. yea, I read almost all your blogs so I was wondering when you’d have time to “update” your site – for the newer you. Congrats on the new site! Look forward to reading more.

Dana • June 15, 2011 at 10:28 am

Love, love, love ice and fire. Been waiting on the edge of my seat for the July 12th release date of Dance with Dragons. So cool to hear that you are a fan!!