Friday browser history roundup

I don’t apologize for gaps in my blogging schedule. I think it’s lame. It annoys me when other people do it. I never promised you a rose garden or three posts a week, so there’s nothing to apologize for. It’s also silly to state the obvious. You are intelligent people, dear readers (except for you, in the back there). You don’t need me to write “Boy, howdy, I sure haven’t blogged in a while, have I?” Duh. You can read a timestamp as well as anyone else. And who says “Boy, howdy,” anyway?

Keeping that in mind, I do like to check in and let you know I’m not dead. (That’s a statement that would really cease to be funny if I ever kicked the bucket prematurely, wouldn’t it? You’d all be like, “Wow, she actually died. That’s real commitment to a joke.”) My brain has been rather fried this week since I’ve had to work fairly hard to meet several client deadlines. I know, poor me, a victim of my own success.

I haven’t been completely negligent of my blog though. If you read the site through a feed reader, you probably don’t notice that I update the “Browser History” widget in the sidebar fairly regularly with links I’ve enjoyed. So, here’s a list of links I’ve found adequately distracting while trying to get other work done. BTW, you can read my full history of links in my Delicious.com account under the “blogwidget” tag.

Animal Tracks – Ants give new meaning to ‘you are what you eat’
Remember that grade-school experiment where you’d put a white carnation in a glass of water and add a few drops of food coloring? Then a few days later the carnation would had colored streaks in it? Well this photographer did that with ants, which is so much cooler.

Why Do Russians Hate Ice? – NYTimes.com
Russians don’t like cold drinks. I wonder if that has anything to do with them living in SIBERIA.

Why Don Draper Is a Far Better Vampire Than Any of Twilight’s or True Blood’s — Vulture
Currently my favorite vampire is Damon Salvatore on The Vampire Diaries (which is actually an awesome show and not a crappy Twilight knockoff like I’d assumed). Don Draper comes in a close second though.

The Credit Card Prank II
Do you ever get sick of signing you name on credit card slips? Don’t bother! Just make a squiggle or doodle and no one will care!

Dear Photograph
I’m not that sentimental of a person, but I have to admit this site makes me a bit sniffly. It’s like looking back in time through a photograph shaped window. The captions make all the difference.

Merry • August 5, 2011 at 6:52 pm

When I see a blog post that starts out “Gosh, it’s been a long time since I posted last, LOL. I’ll try to do better” it usually means that the blog in question is about to turn up its toes and, to steal your phrase, demonstrate real commitment to a joke.
I do like it when people put up a final post that says ‘ciao’ or ‘so long, suckers’ or suchlike when they stop blogging.

Tracy • August 5, 2011 at 7:02 pm

That “credit card prank” site had me in STITCHES. I had “please ask for ID” written in the signature strip of my Debit Card in Ireland the entire time that I had it… and was never once asked for ID. Not even when I used it for transactions in the bank.

So I know where he’s coming from!

Dear Photograph was kind of awesome, too. I’ve seen stuff like that before, littered about tumblr, but AN ENTIRE TUMBLR of ‘em? AWESOME.

Thanks for the links! :)

Emily • August 5, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I find it funny when people apologize for only posting, say 5 times this week, instead of 6. As if their readers have nothing better to do than sit with bated breath, waiting for them to post.
I got introduced to Dear Photograph this week…love it.

Missy • August 6, 2011 at 9:32 am

When Vampire Diaries first came on lots of people I know said “Oh a Twilight ripoff” but I read those books ages ago. Maybe like middle school ages ago….

JenFul • August 6, 2011 at 1:34 pm

@Missy – The show isn’t anything like the books anyway. They use the same character names and general archetypes, but most everything else is new. I read the first half of one of the books and wasn’t very impressed. The TV series is much better.

Kyle • August 7, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Team Damon :)

I’m a sucker for the Vampire shows. I love Vampire Diaries and True Blood. And Mad Men, coincidentally. I never watch them during their actual seasons. I wait until they’re done and then I watch an entire season in one weekend. That’s what I’m doing right now with the Tudors.

MarthaB • August 9, 2011 at 8:14 pm

The ice thing…It’s similar in Sweden. I asked for ice water because during my pregnancy no drink could ever be cold enough and they stared at me blankly. Weird to us but you never know.