Done moved

Not the actual moving truck

I have moved to an apartment with 100% less pot smoke. Yay! I feel like such a grown up. Not only that, but I now have a washer, dryer, dishwasher, AND an ice maker. The ice maker was a surprise, but a frosty, fun one! The other surprise is how ecstatic owning renting all these appliances makes me. This too make me feel like a grown up, but in a less sexy way. I never thought I’d be thrilled to have a lint trap to clean.

Fortunately I scheduled my move the day before the heat wave of death struck the east coast, so I thank the weather gods for smiling down upon me. I suppose they’ll expect me to sacrifice a meteorologist to them in return. *sigh* I hired big burly men to move all my stuff and they were able to complete the move in 3 hours and 9 minutes. I felt like a lazy ass lounging around while they carried heavy objects from one second story apartment to another. But if I’d tried to help I would have been as helpful as a two-year-old helping in the kitchen who just spills cake batter all over the floor. So I read tweets on my phone instead, because I’m evidently becoming one of those people.

I moved from a 780 sq/ft two-bedroom apartment to a 630 sq/ft one-bedroom, and I’m rather surprised all my stuff fits. I have a nook for my office, but it’s smaller than my old office, and the rent is more expensive here because washer/dryer living don’t come cheap! All of which means the home office deduction on my taxes is really going to take a hit this year.

I’m about 75% unpacked, so the place is looking more like an apartment and less like a box factory. I’ve noticed that the rate of unpacking could be graphed like a descending curve, moving from the unpacking-tons-of-essential-crap-even-though-I-can’t-feel-my-arms period to the all-these-unpacked-cardboard-boxes-might-make-fine-coffee-tables period. Part of me wonders if I really need the stuff that’s still sealed up. When I moved I found at least one or two boxes that were still sealed up from my last move.

Anyway, I’m starting to feel settled in, and there are no longer any cats quivering in fear, hiding between the dress bags in the closet. The most comical part of my move was when my sweaty self stepped into the shower and I realized I was eye-level with the showerhead. I’m 5’9″, so it’s not like I’m a giant. This apartment complex is evidently Hobbit-friendly. I didn’t want to have to do squats to rinse my hair, so I bought a detachable showerhead which I mounted without a problem. I’m always happy when problems like that are easy to fix, unlike having loud, pot-smoking neighbors which you have to spend hundreds of dollars and dozens of hours of sweat to escape.

One Trackback

JenFul » Not what I (k)needed · October 2, 2012 at 7:39 am

[...] they hurt a lot when I’ve been going up and down the stairs all day for three days, like when I moved three months ago. They also make this unsettling crunching sound when I bend them, like I’ve got Rice Krispies [...]

Blessed Love • July 10, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Ah…I absolutely understand looking like a box factory! I HATE moving, but love being fully moved. Congrats on escaping the pot smoke and finding a place that fits you better…even though you may be a bit taller than Bilbo Baggins lol.

Leigh • July 10, 2012 at 6:27 pm

congrats on the new home, it sounds terrific.

Natalie • July 10, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I love love love moving! It is a chance to throw out a lot of stuff, get a new place that — while flawed — doesn’t have the same annoying problems as your old place, and then you get to open a lot of boxes full of lovely surprises that you’ve already forgotten about. Like Christmas!

Of course this is all from the perspective of thinking back to when I was single with only a couple of room-fulls of stuff. Now I have a husband and two kids, and we’ve been gradually expanding into the same house, garage, and two sheds for about eight years, it might not be quite so much fun. And books are so heavy. We have a whole room devoted to just our spec. fiction books. And how on earth are we going to move the trampoline when we go?

Shauna • July 11, 2012 at 5:05 am

Well done on the epic move! Hooray for clean and excellent appliances. I have one of those hobbit-height showerheads too, it’s very disconcerting!

schmei • July 11, 2012 at 10:52 am

Congrats on all the appliances – er, the apartment! We just came in to in-house laundry and a dishwasher, ourselves, and about a month in the novelty of LOADING UP THE DISHWASHER hasn’t worn off. It’s wonderful.
The short showerhead, I think, can be a sign of “charm”. A very tall friend of mine lived in a really cute apartment for about four years. Everything about that place was great, but the showerhead was at chin-height for me, and I’m 5’2″. I never asked him if he actually sat down to take a shower, or what. Your solution is the better one.

Karen • July 12, 2012 at 10:38 am

congratulations on your successful move!

sharla • July 16, 2012 at 2:20 pm

congrats on your new place.

Kira • July 29, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Uh…Hi.

A) While reading your blog, I laughed so hard I flipped out of my chair.
B) I’ve read both your books and I think you’re a pretty great writer.
C) I literally googled “how to introduce yourself to another blogger” before sending this. I don’t think I’ve followed any of the suggested advice.

JenFul • July 30, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Hi, Kira! I’m glad you like the blog and my books. Your Barbie cake looks delicious!