Thanks for sticking around

I’m almost halfway through my blog-a-day challenge and it looks like I might make it after all. I haven’t had to post any cat pictures at a minute to midnight yet either! This is at least partly due to the encouragement I have gotten from you guys in the comments section or on Twitter and Facebook. I honestly didn’t know if anyone was still checking in on me, but now I know there are at least a few dozen of you! I appreciate every single one of you, and your kind words mean a lot to me.

Looking over what I’ve written in the past few weeks, there are a least a few entries I think came out really well, and I would never have bothered to write them if I hadn’t made writing a non-negotiable daily task. Writing is like exercise, it’s easy to make an excuse about why you don’t have time for it, but you can usually squeeze it into your day if you decide it’s a priority. The two are also alike because most of the time I do not actually want to do them. I like having written something good and I like having done my exercise for my day, but the idea of actually doing the work is never as appealing as having done the work. Half the entries I’ve written this month have only come about because I looked at the clock and thought, “Damn, I have to write an entry for today!” Knowing that y’all are watching me has given me the extra bit of accountability necessary to meet my writing goals for this month. And like exercise, I’m always glad to have written even if the process of writing can be difficult. It is a workout for my brain, my most important muscle.

I’ve got a text file full of notes for possible blog entries. I’ve been keeping notes for months. It’s really just a matter of doing the work to make them real posts. 17 more days! Here I come!

Tamara • October 14, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I agree that you’ve had some amazing posts (I especially liked the one on divorce and on the debates). Thanks for pointing out that you wouldn’t have written some of these without the post-a-day challenge. My blog is still relatively new and I don’t post nearly as often as I’d like to, and I’ve been trying to think of ways to encourage myself to do so more. This is very inspiring!!!

Kim • October 14, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I love your daily posts. Thanks for making the time to write. I also won’t mind seeing a cat photo if the need arises.

Amanda • October 14, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I’m glad to see you blogging. Shoot, I’ve got both of your books so it stands to reason that I like your writing! This way I get more of it :)

Debby • October 14, 2012 at 8:07 pm

And while you’re glad your readers are sticking around, let me just say that I’m glad you’re sticking around, too. I would really miss my fix of JenFul if you weren’t here. So thanks!

Natalie • October 14, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I really missed you during the long period you didn’t post so it’s great you are blogging again. My blog is weight-loss related (although I ramble about anything) and I find it’s really easy to blog every day if I’ve exercised but not on the days I haven’t. I get sick of writing “ate too much junk, didn’t exercise” too many times in a row!

adrienne • October 14, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I don’t think I’ve said hello during this month, but it always makes me happy to see your new posts in my reader.

Caroline Calcote • October 14, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I haven’t commented yet on your recent writing streak, but I am really glad you are writing again!

Megan • October 15, 2012 at 3:16 am

I am so thrilled to see you are blogging again…I LOVE your blog and being a frequent headache sufferer (though nothing like you) and a food junkie…I feel like we have a few things in common even though I live in New Zealand.

Just wanted to let you know I am reading, and enjoying…keep it up.

Debbi • October 15, 2012 at 8:08 am

What they said. =)

Dup • October 15, 2012 at 10:16 am

I am enjoying reading your daily posts so much. I hope it’s a trend you will keep up!!!

Michelle • October 15, 2012 at 11:48 am

I’m enjoying your presence here too, it’s nice to have you back. I particularly enjoyed your little shopping cart video but it’s fun to see DC through your eyes (I live here in the suburbs and almost never go downtown). One thing I have been wondering about is how many days it’s been since Java Bean last broke a glass? (My cat does the same thing but I’ve been after the kids about keeping them picked up so it’s been awhile for us.) Anyway, thanks again!!

JenFul • October 15, 2012 at 12:37 pm

@Michelle – As soon as I put that counter up in the sidebar he stopped breaking glasses. Or rather, I stopped leaving them out and he never had an opportunity to break one. I’ve now moved to an apartment with wall-to-wall carpeting instead of hardwood floors, so it’s even harder for him to break anything. I’m thinking about taking down the counter, actually.

Sheryl • October 15, 2012 at 2:36 pm

And cat pictures would be fine, too — I can’t believe how many days it has been since Java Bean broke a glass!

Amy P • October 15, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Still love reading your posts. What I like about your blog is that your life is not perfect and you aren’t afraid to post about it anyway.

And I like your cats :)

KathleenC • October 15, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Ahem… a cat picture now and then never hurt anyone…

And I totally forgot to comment on your cart video… I loved it!!! Really glad you posted that!

Leigh • October 16, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Yep, your posts are excellent-I enjoy reading them.

Jules • October 17, 2012 at 6:12 am

Yes, very glad to see the recent influx of blogging! I always enjoy the variety of topics.