Video: The Shopping Cart

“The Shopping Cart” was a poem I wrote in high school and then animated for a digital video project in college. I’m surprised the thing turned out as well as it did because I didn’t bother to storyboard it. I started with a Vanessa-Mae track called “Bach Street Prelude” and animated the scenes to match that. (Fun Fact: Vanessa-Mae and I have the same birthday!)

As I recall, I waited until the last minute to make this after trashing an earlier idea. So I spent two weeks animating 2-3 scenes a day in Macromedia Flash until it all miraculously came together. (This is how long ago this was, that it was Macromedia Flash and not yet Adobe Flash.) Then I ran into problems getting the audio to sync properly because the way it synced in the preview was not exactly how it synced when I exported it to an MPG. Problems, problems, but it all worked out.

I don’t think I have a future at Pixar or anything, but people in my class seemed to like it. Oh, and in the original poem the shopping cart got hit by a car under a No Left Turn sign, which seems rather morbid in retrospect. What was up with me in high school? I decided it would be too hard to animate that scene and gave the video a happy ending instead.

BTW, this was for a totally different class than the Funny Cat Video I posted last month. I think they both turned out well, even though they used completely different production processes. I didn’t make any other videos in college, so this is it as far as my old college videos posts go. Be sad or happy about that as you please.

wyn • October 8, 2012 at 11:13 pm

whatever you think of it, i thought the animation was really cute and the poem was so creative. just watched the cat video too and would love to see what you’d come up with these days!

Kim • October 9, 2012 at 7:07 am

That was great. I’ve never thought too much about shopping carts…you’ve got a great mind!

This made me laugh:

Mindy • October 9, 2012 at 9:10 am

Totally loved it! Thanks for sharing!

Michelle • October 9, 2012 at 10:43 am

That was awesome, thanks for sharing it with us. . .

Dup • October 9, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Loved it. You were very talented….and still are!

carole • October 10, 2012 at 8:13 am

Jeanette, I loved every second of this video. I had to keep reminding myself that it was done by a high-schooler. Cute, funny, wise, visually pleasing, etc. It came together very well. I can only imagine the work it took to make it all so lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Shelladawn • October 11, 2012 at 7:33 am

That was really cool. And I’m amazed you did that in high school, very creative.

• Sometimes I wish I had x-ray vision so I could see what my upstairs neighbor is doing. Other times, I think it's probably best that I can't.
  • New blog post: Lost in the mail http://t.co/YfrvhwbbDp
  • New blog post: Wilmington, North Carolina: The sequel! http://t.co/sOfRt0Vjke
  • Have somehow managed to injure my lower back, because there's not enough pain in my life as is.
  • Just saw 3 political ads back to back which amounted to "You're awful!" "No, I'm not!" "Yes, you are!"
  • I guess I wasn't the only one having trouble with level 655 of Candy Crush because I suddenly have 50 moves instead of 35.

If, Like Renee Zellweger, You're Female and Have a Face and Body, Listen Up - NYTimes.com

In Minnesota, Abandoned Wheelchairs Are Just Part Of The Landscape : Shots - Health News : NPR
I've seen abandoned shopping carts before, but never wheelchairs.