The Fuldamobil

Why didn’t anyone tell me about the Fuldamobil?!

Fuldamobil

Actually, someone did tell me about the Fuldamobil about a year ago and sent me a link to an auction site selling one, but I cannot remember who it was. Sorry, helpful stranger! I appreciate the tip more than my long-term memory might imply.

The Fuldamobil was part of a now extinct line of micro cars that originated in Fulda, Germany. They were built in the 1940′s and 1950′s, but I somehow never heard about until the 2010′s. I knew there was a city called Fulda in Germany. I even knew there was a Fulda tire company that snatched up the domain Fulda.com before I thought to do so. (Which is a shame because I probably could have sold it to them for big bucks since I would have had a legitimate claim to the domain unlike a typical cybersquatter.) I’ve even collected some Fulda tire memorabilia, like a patch that fell off my suitcase last year that I’m still mourning the loss of. Yet somehow I never heard about the Fuldamobil.

One might say that whatever car I’m riding in automatically becomes a Fuldamobil because Jennette Fulda is on board, just like any plane the president is on is called Air Force One. But it’s nice to see one that has the Fulda coat of arms on it as well.

Fulda coat of arms

By the way, every time I type “Fuldamobil” I want to start singing the theme to The Gnome-Mobile, that old Disney movie that stars the two kids from Mary Poppins. Am I the only one who remembers that? If not, sing along on YouTube around the 2:00 mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og57zp8HJoc

If I had an extra $34,500 lying around I might buy a cute little Fuldamobil for myself, though I doubt I’d drive it in actual traffic. It doesn’t look all that safe. Three wheels, really? Actually, who I am kidding? If I had an extra $34,500 lying around I’d buy myself a new car and just call it a Fuldamobil because I was in it.

Natalie • March 24, 2014 at 5:27 pm

A car named after you (sort of)! Wow.

Are your ancestors from Fulda in Germany originally? Maybe they were!

There is a lane with my surname out in the country where my grandparents used to live. It really was named after my family. Sure, it’s a tiny little lane out in the middle of nowhere, leading to about three houses, but it’s mine! I’m special!

JenFul • March 24, 2014 at 6:00 pm

@Natalie – I’ve wondered if my ancestors are from Fulda since both my mom and dad are of German descent. But my father’s father was adopted, so even though his family name was Fulda any link would be through the adopted family, not through a genetic link.

barbara • March 24, 2014 at 6:39 pm

My dad used to drive a SAAB and I always had this fantasy of finding an “R” in the same style and replacing the “S”.

JenFul • March 24, 2014 at 6:55 pm

@barbara – That would have been awesome! Probably would have affected the resell value though :)

Jen • March 24, 2014 at 8:00 pm

What you need to do is scour German online auction sites for a Fulda logo plate, buy it, and then put it on whatever car you buy. Ta-da! instant Fuldamobil.

JenFul • March 24, 2014 at 8:07 pm

@Jen – Or I could buy a resin model of a Fuldamobil for $25. Too bad it looks kinda grody. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-Fulda-Nobel-200-1-43-resin-model-WICK-medium-Blue-extremely-unusual-/201059887713?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item2ed01a6a61

JenFul • March 24, 2014 at 8:20 pm

@Jen – I also want you to know it’s all your fault I just bid on a Fulda beer stein :)

Kathy W. • March 26, 2014 at 2:12 am

cool–looks like a Volkswagen pimped out by aliens.

Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts • March 27, 2014 at 11:05 pm

That’s so goofy looking that it’s kind of cute! But I might be influenced by the color, too. If it were a yucky color, I would probably not think it was appealing at all. ;-) In the end, I’d have to agree with your last line though.

Shirley

Lehnanne • April 9, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I spent 3 years in Fulda, Germany. You should visit – it is amazing.

JenFul • April 9, 2014 at 4:09 pm

@Lehnanne – I would love to visit Fulda! I’ve never met anyone who’s been there before, so it’s good to know it really exists :)

Lehnanne • April 10, 2014 at 7:13 am

@JenFul – It lies on what use to be the West/East German border – there is a lot of history there. Beautiful buildings, a portion of the orignal wall that surrounded the city still stands, it is over 1000 years old. The town was officially founded around 750.

It is a wonderful place to just wander the day away. I am lucky that my dad was in the Army and so growing up I got to spend most of my childhood in Germany.

There is also a “Fulda” Wiki page you could add yourself to. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulda_(disambiguation) =)

JenFul • April 10, 2014 at 12:18 pm

@Lehnanne – It sounds really cool! I hope I get to visit one day. I did visit Fulda, Indiana once and mailed myself a postcard from there. However it’s a very small town, not anything like the one in Germany.